Tuesday 31 March 2015

BIKE MY WAY 'ROUND

2. Realising Where I am



Cold. Damp. Loud.  
That's how I'd describe every morning. That is what in fact wakes me up every morning.  But somehow I don't mind. There's nothing like being woken up by a strike of fresh air and the angry ocean waves beating the sandy beach and rocks. I unzip my sleeping bag, suck it up that it's cold, and crawl out of my tent to see where I ended up this time.

Be it a campground, a ditch by the side of a road, or a house of a kind stranger that let me hide from the rain.  I am on the road, cycling.  The adventure of waking up on places I've never been to before and not knowing where will I be next is something that keeps me going. 

Cycling made me truly realise how beautiful the Pacific Coast is.  I never have thought that it can get any better than from what I've seen on my previous travels.  The elevation, corners, steep cliffs just off the sides of the roads and views that are not visible from a car make it very special and somehow more intimate.  You get to feel and truly realise where you are.  

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” Ernest Hemingway


I have cycled more than 550 miles now and getting to a midpoint of my journey that hasn't really been properly established yet.   I am enjoying every single mile of this trip and to an extent don't even pay attention where I am on the map.  The biggest enlightenment for me so far was picking up the ability to learn to enjoy every place I'm at no matter what the weather is like and how far away I am from my final destination.  I am on the road and that's all that matters for me. 

Help me support a good cause:




No comments:

Post a Comment